Berea Farmers Market is Hiring!
The Berea Farmers Market is accepting applications for a new Market Manager. Our farmers market is structured as a cooperative, and we’re deeply committed to providing a space mutually beneficial to our farmers, artisans, and the community we serve. We’re a producer-only market, offering fresh, local food and high quality arts and crafts--as well as being a place where education, entertainment, and community development naturally occur. The role of the Market Manager is crucial to the ongoing success of the market, and we’re excited to meet the people in our community who are passionate about this work and the potential of stepping into the position.
Primary duties of the Market Manager include the day-to-day management of the market, both on-site during market hours and off-site in the execution of administrative tasks, communications, etc. The manager reports to the Board of Directors, who (with the input of the Cooperative membership) set market policy. The manager serves in many ways as the face of the market, representing the market to the vendors, customers, and larger community.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about local agriculture and the community
- Good communication skills
- Computer skills, including competency with spreadsheets, word processing, emails, website updates, and social media; as well as ready access to the internet
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Marketing skills
Market Manager duties include:
- Sharing vendor applications with the Board and enrolling vendors in the market upon approval
- Collecting fees, making accurate accounting of them, and sending money regularly to the Board Treasurer
- Engaging in regular communication with vendors, including the communication of market policies, activities, and rules
- Maintaining and updating the market’s website and Facebook page
- Coordinating and assuring the distribution of all BFM informational and promotional materials
- Performing various administrative and record-keeping duties
- Overseeing the administration and record keeping of EBT/Double Dollar, debit, and credit card transactions
- Being on-site during market hours to assist with and oversee operations
- Working with market board/committee to plan for market growth and development through community relationship development and fundraising
- Other duties as mutually agreed upon by the Board of Directors and the manager.
Hours and compensation:
This is an independent contractor position averaging 12 - 15 hours a week at a rate of $11 an hour.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Your cover letter should introduce you to the board and give us a sense of why you’re interested in this position. Thank you!